My name is: Alison Arden
Business: Alison Arden Acupuncture
Location: Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge
- What do you love about what you do? I get a terrific feeling when my clients report back to me that their health issues are improving and resolving! I especially love being involved with people trying to get pregnant whether naturally or through IVF. I also love the academic aspect to Chinese Medicine – there is always something new to learn and it’s a mental challenge to determine the root cause of people’s symptoms.
- What did you want to be when you grew up? I didn’t really know until I was 17 and it was then that I decided to train to be a nurse. I was a nurse until 2007, had a few years living abroad and then chose to change career and become an acupuncturist. Many elements of my old career I use in my new career, so sometimes it doesn’t feel so different! I didn’t imagine I’d have my own business when I was younger and had less aspirations for myself. I’d tell my younger self to dream bigger!
- Who inspires you? I am very drawn to people who are determined to be successful – whatever that means to them, in all aspects of life. For that reason, I read books on the subject and so people like Tony Robbins, Robert Holden, Bob Proctor and Jim Rohn inspire me. I have people who have been in the acupuncture world for many years that inspire me to keep learning the art of Chinese Medicine. Then there’s local business friends who are constantly teaching me through their own actions and decisions how to be a better business woman.
- What is non negotiable in your week? Me time! I don’t feel right if I don’t have some quiet time at the start of the day. I sometimes meditate or I read something that’s going to educate me in improving myself. I try to do a few stretches and exercises. If it’s summer and sunny I sit on my patio, surrounded by pots of flowers and listen to the birds – that really chills me out! I also try to run 2-3 times a week, often with a friend and that is a great antedote to my busy life. I belong to a local networking group that meets weekly so that is a priority too.
- Tell us one thing that not many people know about you! When I was 8 I was on the stage with Ken Dodd as one of his “Diddy Men” in a variety show for a few months at The Royal Court, Liverpool!
- Tell our readers your favourite tip to look after your body, live the life you love, and have a soul fulfilled life. I think this has to be what I was describing in my “me time” in an earlier question. We all need time to be quiet, reflect and recharge our batteries. So many of my clients come to me exhausted trying to keep up with modern life, eating badly and are basically running on empty. So my favourite tip must be to create a routine in your day to take time out and do whatever allows your mind and body to rest and catch up.
- What would you like your epitaph to read? She lived life to the full and she smashed it! Wonderful wife, mother, friend – missed by many for her love and laughter.
You can find out more about Alison on her website :
Facebook – Alison Arden Acupuncture
Twitter – @aarden1970.